Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By flyingbadger
bmstinton93 wrote:Again, nothing beats Chuck.

Haha,

Bailed on Season 5 episode 2. Never went back.
Big pile o'shite.

Topher wrote:I don't know what that is, but I bet it's not as good as DareDevil.

You are correct Christopher, very few things are as good as a blind man kicking the * out of a shit tonne of people.
Big pile o'awesomeness.
By Topher
Episode 2 has the best fight scene I've ever seen on TV or in a film. It is brilliant and it's all done in a single tracking shot, must have been so hard to shoot.
By flyingbadger
Topher wrote:Episode 2 has the best fight scene I've ever seen on TV or in a film. It is brilliant and it's all done in a single tracking shot, must have been so hard to shoot.

All the fight scene choregraphy is amoungst the best I've seen. The actors / stuntdudes must have taken a few clocks to the bonce in the making of those scenes.
By Nicola_Red
flyingbadger wrote: as well as Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Love this. Very funny, and great, strong female/gay/non-white characters - that's still so rare, why?! I bought Mr Red season 1 on dvd for his birthday. Looking forward to a binge re-watch.
By chrysostom
To be fair, in the US figures show that around 1.7% (likely double that though) of adults identify as LGBT and 12.7% are African American and 4.7% are 'Asian' (both South and East) which means it's likely that these percentages will be represented in media.

Combined with the economic & social factors that are applied to the ethnicities (grouping together in poorer environments, lack of education leading to a lack of opportunity in the very poorly paid junior acting community, and intellectually challenging writing gigs) it's hardly surprising that there's an inbalance when it comes to minority demographics - as well as the tension between those pro-LGBT and anti, which has the potential to make figures drop significantly.

Change is slow, but if you look where we are now compared to 10 years ago - things have changed a lot for the better (except for the loss of LOST, that will never be for the better). All social change is slow, but it's coming. In 30 years time, marginalised demographics will have benefited from our progressive movements and have 30 years of experience in their roles - meaning that they will be qualified for the best jobs in a society that legally can't discriminate. Any positive shift (like Brooklyn 99) is part of a long term plan and should be applauded, but I don't feel that we should expect full representation of all communities in the next 5 years, it's just not realistic.

I say this as I'm constantly sad that South Asian characters are continually left out of almost everything (save the soaps) yet are relatively prevalent in both the UK & the US. East Asian even moreso.

WHILE I'M ON MY RANT OF MADNESS.

I'd hate it for Idris Elba to be Bond. Stop making characters change and start making new characters. Luther is a brilliant example, because he's Black but it's not his defining feature. The part wasn't even written for a Black actor, but growing up in East London and being ~40, Luther could have grown up with little racial tension - being a minority would have affected James Bond's childhood and therefore shaped his personality. If you want a minority James Bond, WRITE A CHARACTER WHO IS BASICALLY A MINORITY JAMES BOND. AND. A female Doctor in Doctor Who would work - but there are few non-violent male leading characters who act with empathy and have a strong moral fortitude that I believe it'd be a shame to take him away as a role model for young boys growing up.

It's good to be back.
By Nicola_Red
All very true and excellent points! I'd like Idris Elba to be Bond but that's mainly cos I kind of fancy him and I've never fancied any Bond and kind of feel like I'm missing out on something, especially with Daniel Craig. I totally agree with what you said about the character.
By chrysostom
Luther is so much better than Bond. James Bond is essentially an intelligent, high functioning sociopath who was drafted into the secret service after a sheltered childhood. He numbs the pain of his obligation to murder people by drinking, and compensates for the loss of his mother by sleeping with every woman he meets and leaves them once he develops feelings for them. He is a horrible character who I've never liked (but the films are fun).
By Topher
I've only ever seen two Bond films I think (the first two Daniel Craig ones). Never seen a Bourne either.
By DevilsDuck
Topher wrote:I've only ever seen two Bond films I think (the first two Daniel Craig ones). Never seen a Bourne either.
You are a disgrace!

chrysostom wrote: He is a horrible character who I've never liked (but the films are fun).

He is a horrible character but that's why I like him.
By Badger Mark
Topher wrote:I plan to start Game of Thrones at some point. If anyone hasn't seen Daredevil on Netflix yet, definitely definitely watch it, it's ace.

Loved Daredevil! Can't wait for the 2nd season next year. Netfilix and Marvel have teamed up for 3 more series featuring different superheroes that eventually will come together for a bunch of crossover episodes. Next up is Jessica Jones.

The remaining two will be Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I know next to nothing about these 3 characters, but if the shows are as good as Daredevil, it's going to make for some great television.
By Topher
Yes and next week you are getting Agents of SHIELD series 3 in the states, so I shall be getting that as soon as it appears.
By flyingbadger
Topher wrote:Yes and next week you are getting Agents of SHIELD series 3 in the states, so I shall be getting that as soon as it appears.

That's one I didn't really get in to. Gave up after a few episodes.
Worth giving it another go?
By Topher
I think so, how far did you get? The end of series 1 is really brilliant and it continues into series 2 (with one disappointing episode I can think of). Around the time The Winter Soldier came out, the Agents of SHIELD tie in to that story got really good.
By Badger Mark
flyingbadger wrote:
Topher wrote:Yes and next week you are getting Agents of SHIELD series 3 in the states, so I shall be getting that as soon as it appears.

That's one I didn't really get in to. Gave up after a few episodes.
Worth giving it another go?

Many gave up on it after the first few episodes, but the show staged an incredible turn around halfway through the first season. That turn around coincided with the Captain America Winter Soldier movie. They took elements of that movie and wove it into the main plot. It then became a really solid, exciting show. The 2nd season was equally as strong IMO. If you can get through that first half of season one, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the end of it all.

I'd also recommend the mini-spin off series Agent Carter. Only 8 episodes and it was also very good.
By flyingbadger
Badger Mark wrote:Many gave up on it after the first few episodes, but the show staged an incredible turn around halfway through the first season. That turn around coincided with the Captain America Winter Soldier movie. They took elements of that movie and wove it into the main plot. It then became a really solid, exciting show. The 2nd season was equally as strong IMO. If you can get through that first half of season one, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the end of it all.

I'd also recommend the mini-spin off series Agent Carter. Only 8 episodes and it was also very good.

Cool, sounds like I should give it another go then. Appreciate the info.
Funnily enough I just watched epsiode 1 of Agent Carter last night.
Spooky or whatnot.
By Topher
Yes, loved Agent Carter too.

Jarvis is played by the guy who played a very different character in series 2 of Broadchurch - good actor.
By Badger Mark
Topher wrote:Yes, loved Agent Carter too.

Jarvis is played by the guy who played a very different character in series 2 of Broadchurch - good actor.

Definitely very different from the Jarvis character! I thought the first series of Broadchurch was a bit better than series 2 (we had it on BBCA here in the states), but I still thought it was very good. Curious to see where they go with the 3rd series.
By MadTheEddos
Since we can listen to the Moyles show though the TV via Virgin Media and similar(as I'm doing right now), maybe that qualifies it for a mention here... LOL.
By Badger Mark
Here's two more trailers for the upcoming Netflix show Jessica Jones. It's another Marvel character. The second of 4 Marvel shows coming to Netflix (Daredevil being the first).

By Topher
It has a LOT to live up to.
By Badger Mark
Pretty much everything one needs to know about the Jessica Jones backstory. I forgot to mention that David Tennant is going to be playing the role of a really creepy villain in the Netflix adaptation of the comic. That alone makes it worth watching IMO. This article also talks a little bit about Luke Cage who is going to be the subject of the 3rd Netflix/Marvel collaboration coming in the future.

http://io9.com/everything-you-need-to-k ... socialflow
By Topher
Tennant is an excellent actor (now I've written that I can hear it in the voice of one of Harry Enfield's Self-Righteous Brothers: "but if he came into the pub pissed up and started using blue language in front of my wife and kids... I should say OI! TENNANT! NOOOO!" Ahem, I digress, he was very good in the Harry Potter I've just watched and brilliant in Broadchurch.
By Topher
No, I don't think you have, that is a cool neighbour to have! I didn't watch Dr Who, but he has been brilliant in a number of things

Thank you both!!