Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Nicola_Red
bmstinton93 wrote:So has anyone seen the final HIMYM? Thoughts? I'm unsure right now, although I think I liked it!

Is it finally on E4 this week? Even though I deliberately read the spoilers online, I still wanna watch to see it for myself, I suspect I'm gonna feel vastly disappointed.

I watched the Nick Frost comedy-drama Mr Sloane on Sky and was loving it, but then the finale was last week and it was just so disappointing. It was one of those endings that made me go "but what about that? But what's happening with her?" I dunno if they were leaving it open for a second series, but I don't think that's it. I think they just wanted an unexpected non-happy ending, but it wasn't sad either, it was just...nothing much. I was actually still thinking about it the day after I watched it, trying to reconcile it to myself.
By dimtimjim
Well, seen the last HIMYM... not the ending I was expecting, which is always a nice treat. but overall I thought they wrapped it up very well. Must get the box set on DVD at some point to see any episodes I may have missed over the years.

Quality series, thoroughly enjoyed!

EDIT: Also, only just found out Neil Patrick Harris is gay; obviously no problem with this, just quite surprised given how well he played a serial womaniser!
By Nicola_Red
He is indeed, and they have twin toddlers. I follow him on Instagram, so I've seen lots of pics!

Now I've seen the ending for myself it was even more awful than I imagined. Just bad on so many levels. I can't even start with it or I'd be typing for hours.
By dimtimjim
Nicola_Red wrote:Now I've seen the ending for myself it was even more awful than I imagined.

If you could condense the typing for hours, I'd be interested to know why you didn't like it; as I know I did.
By bmstinton93
I can completely understand why people wouldn't like it, but I'd like to know what ending they would have preferred. I'm personally very glad that it wasn't obvious and I almost welled up during the final episode so it certainly worked on me.
By dimtimjim
bmstinton93 wrote: I'm personally very glad that it wasn't obvious

Ditto.

bmstinton93 wrote: I almost welled up during the final episode

Obviously I didn't; far too butch and manly for that... :wink:

bmstinton93 wrote: so it certainly worked on me.

Me2.
By Nicola_Red
Alright, these are direct copies of my posts on the subject from another forum I use:

First post:

It was awful. Why did they stretch Barney and Robin's wedding out for so many episodes and then gloss over so many of the following plot points (their divorce, Lily's third baby, the birth of Ted and Tracey's son, Tracey fallling ill and dying)? Why did they give Barney the baby - what did it add to the story at such a late stage, and why didn't we see even one shot of the mother of his baby? I know they filmed the final scene with the kids (where they are encouraging Ted to ask robin out) back in 2005, to avoid the fact that by now the actors would be mid 20s - but why couldn't they integrate the shots of Ted talking to them more seamlessly? It didn't look like they were even in the same building. AND WHY ALL THE TERRIBLE WIGS?!

Sorry. I have a lot of feels about it. The one thing I will say in its favour is that I liked that they recreated the scene from the first episode with Ted standing outside robin's window holding the blue French horn. But even during that it was bugging me that they had made no attempt to make robin look any older. Just a bit of makeup would have done it. Ack.

Second post:

The continuity was really bumming me out - I know around 4 years were supposed to have passed between Barney and Robin's wedding and Ted and Tracey's wedding, but how long did they actually leave in real time between filming? Enough time for Jason Segel to gain a bunch of weight back, evidently (not that I'm saying that's a bad thing - I thought he looked gaunt early on in the series). I spent almost all the episode trying to work out how much time was supposed to have passed between events, and how much had actually passed between filming. Super distracting.

I don't remember Friends being so bad for this - was it just that they had fewer flash back/forward scenes? I think there's only so far you can push that device before it starts to seem ridiculous if you obviously don't have the budget to 'age' characters like films can. Which is fine, just don't try so much! There are other ways to tell a story.

I think I would have liked Ted and Robin to get together, even though they made it obvious right from day one that she wasn't the mother by referring to her as 'aunt Robin'. But the mother was the title character, and her getting together with Ted, marrying him, having his kids and dying was rushed over in one and a bit episodes. I didn't particularly like the actress or the character (anyone remember Cristin Milioti from 30 Rock? She was SO much better in that) but I still felt like she was given a bum deal. The backstory of her first love dying and her subsequent relationship was given almost as much screen time as her entire relationship with Ted. Not necessary.

Argh, still so many feels. This must be how people who didn't like the ending of Lost felt!
By dimtimjim
^^^ Interesting reading. You make a few good points, although its obviously subjective if these points are viewed as bad, or good.

I fully 'get' the point behind giving Barney the baby (which you say you don't), but would have been nice to have little more elaboration on that. And same for Tracey's illness/death, a little glossed over; but summarised so as to get to the point.

Regarding your comments about continuity of flashbacks and such like; I think that's just you over analysing things. Relax and understand they're working within the abilities of the budget and continued story development.

And given how the whole 9 series had been building to the one person - I thought Cristin Milioti was a great choice; very naturally pretty, warm and seemingly head-over-heels for Ted. I thought they both played the 'lost in love' very well.

but, that's just my opinion, not trying to oust you as 'wrong', Nic. (although, being a woman, obviously; you're wrong :D )
By Nicola_Red
You're right that I over-analyse the continuity. I do that with everything. What would you say they achieved by giving Barney the baby? If they were trying to show that he has grown up or something, it seemed poorly done and heavy-handed.

Something else that occured to me later: if Robin was so absent from their lives following her divorce from Barney (to quote Lily: "a Scherbatsky sighting is rare"), how come she was so close to Ted's kids that they were so knowledgable about her and keen for Ted to pursue her? Are we just supposed to assume that she came back into their lives in the years we didn't see? Again, argh.
By dimtimjim
Nicola_Red wrote:What would you say they achieved by giving Barney the baby?

To me it was indicative of a feeling I myself experienced 12.5 years ago.

Barney, the exemplar serial womaniser, suddenly having that moment of realisation as he first holds his own child in his arms... showing the softer side which resides within all men, but is hidden better in some models than others.

There really is no feeling like it and NOTHING can prepare you for exactly how it does feel - but I know all the parents on here will back me up on this. Sorry Nic, I know that maybe sounds like a 'dig' at you for not being a parent, but it so isn't intended that way.
By Nicola_Red
dimtimjim wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:What would you say they achieved by giving Barney the baby?

To me it was indicative of a feeling I myself experienced 12.5 years ago.

Barney, the exemplar serial womaniser, suddenly having that moment of realisation as he first holds his own child in his arms... showing the softer side which resides within all men, but is hidden better in some models than others.

There really is no feeling like it and NOTHING can prepare you for exactly how it does feel - but I know all the parents on here will back me up on this. Sorry Nic, I know that maybe sounds like a 'dig' at you for not being a parent, but it so isn't intended that way.

Nah, it doesn't sound like a dig at me. It does sound cliche-y (not a word) and sappy to me, but no doubt that's cos I'll never experience it. I still don't get why we needed to see a softer side to Barney, though. Maybe they felt they suddenly needed to redeem him for all the womanising, but I don't think that was necessary at all.
By MadTheEddos
*BUMP*

Lately I've ended up watching loads of Bones and CSI on Sky Living. Bones is rapidly becoming one of my favourite characters on any show. Emily Deschanel is adorable in it, I love the dreamy/rambling way she speaks.

My favourite CSI character is(Well, was) Catherine Willows, although every character in that show has probably made an impression on me, I've watched it so much... Oh dear.
By DevilsDuck
I have been watching Gotham on Netflix. I quite enjoyed it. Also watched the first 4 series of game of thrones as was sick of not understanding the stupid jokes people were making.

Winter is coming
By Topher
I plan to start Game of Thrones at some point. If anyone hasn't seen Daredevil on Netflix yet, definitely definitely watch it, it's ace.
By Nicola_Red
For Game of Thrones? No, me either. I've seen bits of it cos my former housemate used to watch it and...meh. Too rapey for me.

I hardly watch any new TV at the moment, the only things I make sure to watch are New Girl and The Mindy Project. Very little else floating my boat.
By DevilsDuck
I have enjoyed it, its something to watch...some of it is a bit gruesome and rapey...but it is a show that once you start watching it, you do want to find out what happens...I would read the books, but I prefer comedy/satirical books...not too much heavy reading!
By MadTheEddos
I've never really got into Game of Thrones either. A couple of years ago my ex roped me into watching some episodes, and it's not on my wavelength - not the TV version at least. Maybe if I read the books I might see it in a new light though, so I won't write it off altogether.

I need to get into Netflix, and check out Gotham, Daredevil and others.

Think I saw a mention of Dirk Gently somewhere in this thread, a few pages back. I saw that on BBC4 a few months back, loved it. Not renewing it was an epic fail on the BBC's part.
By flyingbadger
Game of Thrones is * awesome (gruesome and rapey FTW).
Really enjoying all the comic book adaptations doing the rounds. Daredevil and Arrow especially but honourable mentions to The Flash and Gotham although that's not necessarily a comic book adaptation *pushes glasses up nose*.
Since last I typed and you looked I also finished watching Dexter (shouldn't have bothered), Grimm's pretty good, Breaking Bad was THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN to my eyeballs and I'm currently enjoying The League on Netflix as well as Brooklyn Nine Nine.

#BadgerHasNoLife
By Topher
I don't know what that is, but I bet it's not as good as DareDevil.

Thank you both!!