Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By chrysostom
Following the forum recommendation of Sherlock - I was wondering if there are any other gems out there which I may have missed (and if I could pass a few on to others.

So the idea is that people post a TV show which they recommend and truly adore.

Modern Family - It's a very funny US show based around one extended family. The grandfather (remarried with a younger colombian woman who has a child from their first marriage), the parents (Son is gay & married with an adopted chinese baby, Daughter is married with 3 children ). It sound awful from that description, but the characters are wonderful - and at most episodes have a heart warming element to them which makes you happy to be in a family.
By bmstinton93
Modern Family is absolutely brilliant, but I honestly believe my favourite programme now of all time is Chuck. I didn't expect to be in to it when I heard it was a story about a CIA Spy. But the whole thing is just amazing. Very strongly recommended.
By Nicola_Red
Er...Mad Men! But I'm sure everyone has seen that, it's hardly under the radar. I'm obsessed with it though. Almost as badly as I was with Lost, although not quite.
By dimtimjim
CMQN is ok....! :D
By a-moron
Really enjoyed Chuck Season 1. Still waiting for Season 2 to appear on the googlebox.
Loved Game of Thrones. I mean loved . If I could have found a port big enough in the TV to insert my own cable in to I would've (not bragging our owt, those ports are tiny).
Heard nothing but good things about Mad Men but never got round to watching. The Wire as well. But have seen it's starting off again on Sky Atlantic so Linky-dinked that last night.
What else I got on the planner? Eh...
Burn Notice - Burnt spy helps out the needy, MacGyver / A-team stylee. Also stars the excellent Bruce Campbell and Lacey from Cagney & Lacey. Good action fluff TV.
and
The Walking Dead - Glasgow High Street, Sunday Morning.
By Nicola_Red
Is that the best you can do, Tim...?!
By bmstinton93
theflyingbadger wrote:Really enjoyed Chuck Season 1. Still waiting for Season 2 to appear on the googlebox.

Send me a hard drive and I can give you Seasons 1 - 5
By Nicola_Red
I also love a lot of what's on BBC4 - documentaries on social history and dramatisations of the lives of people like Hattie Jacques, Enid Blyton and Gracie Fields. I always make a point of looking at the listings for BBC4 cos that's the sort of stuff that's easily missed.
By a-moron
charlalottie wrote: I basically watch a lot of crap.

I like the Robson Green spin-off on 5. A lot of Carp.

bmstinton93 wrote:Send me a hard drive and I can give you Seasons 1 - 5

Appreciate the offer Benji boy but don't own an external hard drive and the cost to purchase one would probably cover the cost of the DVD's. Thanks again though.
By MK Chris
Nicola_Red wrote:Er...Mad Men! But I'm sure everyone has seen that, it's hardly under the radar.

I don't know what Mad Men is. I think I have heard others saying it's good, but I know nothing about it.

Mine would all be very predictable - old comedies:

Only Fools (of course)
Blackadder
Fawlty Towers

Now as with nicola_red, those aren't exactly below the radar, but there are also some vastly underrated comedies of old such as:

Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister
Porridge
The Good Life
Open All Hours
By Nicola_Red
Topher wrote:those aren't exactly below the radar, but there are also some vastly underrated comedies of old such as:

Porridge
The Good Life
Open All Hours

We had a production of Yes Prime Minister on here last year and most of my colleagues, who are in their early 20s, didn't know what it was. So maybe they're not as well known as we think!
By dimtimjim
Nicola_Red wrote:Is that the best you can do, Tim...?!

Meh... I've said before i'm not a massive TV man. I like to catch up on any Beeb comedy shows via iPlayer (HIGNFY, WILTY, NMTBC etc) and I know Channel 4 do some great comedy stuff. I also like stuff like Grand Designs, but thats more due to the nature of my job than anything else.

beyond that, I'm with Toph n Lottie on the older stuff.... Gotta love Red Dwarf!! :D
By MK Chris
Nicola_Red wrote:
Topher wrote:those aren't exactly below the radar, but there are also some vastly underrated comedies of old such as:

Porridge
The Good Life
Open All Hours

We had a production of Yes Prime Minister on here last year and most of my colleagues, who are in their early 20s, didn't know what it was. So maybe they're not as well known as we think!

I was on about the previous three that are definitely well-known, those four were my underrated ones that people often miss.

Also, charlalottie mentioning Spaced made me think of Black Books - definitely definitely catch Black Books.
By Nicola_Red
dimtimjim wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:Is that the best you can do, Tim...?!

Meh... I've said before i'm not a massive TV man.

Nah, that's fair enough. Most people watch too much TV, and I often feel like I'd be much better doing other stuff like reading. I just meant that while I do watch and quite enjoy CMQN, I wouldn't say it's amazing or anything evening close.
By dimtimjim
it was more that it was forefront in my mind as I'd only just watched the Christmas CMQN last night on 4od.

then I got pissed and stoned and went attacking people in Bristol.....
By dimtimjim
Sorry dude, shouldn't be joking about it, really, jus' trying to diminish the impact of the scenario inside your head.

if it was me, i'd have hugged you and suggested we go Whaling together...! :D
By tizer
one that's yet to start in the uk is suits, proper good telly and i hear that dave is showing it so your not going to be able to miss it
By Nicola_Red
Yep, Dave are trailing that heavily at the moment. I can't say I fancied it really - I tend to think of all legal dramas as secondary to Ally McBeal. Ah, I loved that show :)
By tizer
Nicola_Red wrote:Yep, Dave are trailing that heavily at the moment. I can't say I fancied it really - I tend to think of all legal dramas as secondary to Ally McBeal. Ah, I loved that show :)

seriously worth a look i was loving it from the get go, i watched 3 epps back to back last night as baby tizer wouldnt sleep last night
By Boboff
bmstinton93 wrote:I'm surprised you didn't give Pointless a little mention there.

That is brilliant.

It is rather good isn't it.

Although Alexander Armstrong's appearances in those Direct Line ads really don't help me enjoy the show.
By Yudster
Nicola_Red wrote:Yep, Dave are trailing that heavily at the moment. I can't say I fancied it really - I tend to think of all legal dramas as secondary to Ally McBeal. Ah, I loved that show :)

Me too, and I never have seen the last two or three seasons, after thingy died. I must get the complete box set before it becomes completely unavailable.
By Nicola_Red
I seem to recall it went a bit downhill when Jon Bon Jovi got involved. There was a Sky channel called Zone Romantica (excellent name) that used to show it at weekends, but alas, that channel doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Thank you both!!