Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Boboff
I might be being a bit dense here, so forgive me, but what is so wrong with having an interest in who has died ?

He's already said the majority wouldn't interest us, and hasn't posted them.

This is a "sticky" topic, assuming therefore that at least one person feels that it's a recurring and interesting thread to have.

It really is quite intolerant to start shouting "get a life" at someone when the honestly reveal an interest in keeping up to date with a particular aspect of current affairs.

A you tube clip of some surfer talking rubbish, or some obscure puppet show singing about racism, they are valid leisure pursuits, but this isn't ?

Taken with the fact that Mr I own it all, has already been vociferous in pointing out some weaknesses in Iain, this mop handed approach to chastising someones valid point of view is tantamount to fascism*.

* Had to really on argument number 6 in the forum posting argument protocol their and accuse people of being Nazi's, 1/10 could do better.

Seriously though, I know Foots has alluded to a bit of Bullying (ie he said it shouldn't happen) and I know Yuds has spoken up for Iain in the past, but really
By Yudster
There's nothing wrong with having an interest in such things, but what iain said here

iain_smith wrote:I have a database of obituary sites which I check every couple of hours or so.

iain_smith wrote:PS i almost single handedly keep the obituary notices on wikipedia updated!

- indicates something beyond merely taking an interest, don't you think?
By Boboff
I would assume

These comments are exaggerated.

& What is so wrong with going "beyond merely taking an interest" there are many here who display interest in things far beyond what most would consider normal, without being told to get a life. Personally I think that anyone who is able to take more than an interest in something, somebody who has a desire to dig deeper and learn more is a person I have respect for, as it is in all fairness something I can't do as the old ADHD kicks in.
By Yudster
I would assume that as these comments were made as statements, not descriptions or anecdotes, they are accurate - and I think they show a level of interest in people dying which goes beyond usual, if not normal. It is, at the end of the day though, just my opinion, although it isn't a completely uninformed one. Sometimes things realy are as they seem.
By Boboff
You, you've always got to have the last word !

(PS bored of defending Iain now, my commitment to that point of view is now very tired, and if it helps I will say sorry and that you of course are right and we should all look down of Iain for being interested in people dying, "ewwww Iain you're like so strange and weird, and you need to get a life Pal")

Slimming Club tonight Woop Woo !
By Yudster
boboff wrote:......... that you of course are right and we should all look down of Iain for being interested in people dying, "ewwww Iain you're like so strange and weird, and you need to get a life Pal")

But I haven't said that - or anything like that - anywhere.
By foot-loose
Ahh, but Iain...

I put it to you that while 'famous' people die all the time, generally, only the really famous ones would get posted on here (unless Zenon comes out of retirement). You seem to be doing your best to find as many dead folks as possible and while I am strictly of the belief of 'each to their own'... I still find it odd.

Surely the idea of sitting looking at a website of the latest dead folks every few hours and updating wikipedia ... you can see why I think it's odd?

At the same time, you're doing no harm and by updating wikipedia, it could be said you are performing a duty of benefit to the internet community, so fair enough.
By rustybike
I think that all of this is just a matter of opinion and that it really doesn't deserve this big debate, at the end of the day this thread was to stop users from posting tons of other threads about who's died and iain_smith just added to it saying what he does - shouldn't we just respect his interest rather than deflating it. Some of you think that what iain_smith is doing is "odd" and that's your opinion, but like Foots said:

foot-loose wrote:At the same time, you're doing no harm and by updating wikipedia, it could be said you are performing a duty of benefit to the internet community, so fair enough.

which I agree with. One day you'll be dead and gone, one day I'll be dead and gone and I personally think if I was a famous person it'll be nice if there was someone out there remembering me rather than leaving me to fade a way.
I think that stamp collecting is one of the dullest things around. Where as others think it's really interesting. That's they're opinion and I respect that, especially as I don't have the right to say what's "weird" and what's not.

Sometimes I don't get you lot - one minute you're supporting people no matter how weird or agressive their comments are, the next you're ganging up on them deflating their comments as if they're completely wrong. But then again thats just my view point - take it/comment on it as you will.
By foot-loose
All this is true, Rusty. But... and I'm sure you will agree with me here... humour is the way forward at any point and
TIAL wrote:Oh no!

Just made me spit out my tea. Or at least it would have, if I had been drinking any tea.
By Andy B
I just agree with everyone...except the weirdo's on here.
By rustybike
foot-loose wrote:All this is true, Rusty. But... and I'm sure you will agree with me here... humour is the way forward at any point.

True,

foot-loose wrote:
TIAL wrote:Oh no!

Just made me spit out my tea. Or at least it would have, if I had been drinking any tea.

What were you drinking?
By MK Chris
I think I'd just want to be forgotten to be totally honest. Where's the fun in people who have never heard of you posting your name because they read it somewhere and then everyone else posting replies of "who?!"
By Boboff
Ms Margaret Hughes of 13 Grimspound Close died on Sunday at 14.25, she was 97. Unremarkable lady who never went out and had no Family. She once appeared in the Audience of Call my Bluff in 1974 when it visited the College of St Mark & St John, however only her hat was ever spotted on TV.

Our thoughts go out to her family, if she had any, at this tragic time.

She will be burned in a civil ceremony on Friday at Efford, her ashes will be made into a sludge and used to Feed the Roses in Central Park.
By foot-loose
boboff wrote:Ms Margaret Hughes of 13 Grimspound Close died on Sunday at 14.25, she was 97. Unremarkable lady who never went out and had no Family. She once appeared in the Audience of Call my Bluff in 1974 when it visited the College of St Mark & St John, however only her hat was ever spotted on TV.

Our thoughts go out to her family, if she had any, at this tragic time.

She will be burned in a civil ceremony on Friday at Efford, her ashes will be made into a sludge and used to Feed the Roses in Central Park.

Oh no!
By Yudster
iain_smith wrote:This thread was created to taslk about famous people who've just died and I'm just doing what I'm supposed to.Whats the problem? :?

Oh by the way R & B singer Sean Levert has been found dead aged 39 http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainm ... dead/2803/

Oh no!
By Vivienne
The thing is, it will continually remain at the top anyway, on account of Iain S.
By Yudster
I quite like it as a thread, it has been entertaining so far anyway. It doesn't need to be a sticky though.
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]