Request and download your Moyles-related sound or video clips in here
By DC
Been a long time since I've been on here, and I'm not sure if this may have been posted before (a quick search shows nothing). Nor am I sure the person who uploaded these is registered on here or not.

But anyway, I stumbled across this on youtube. It's something I haven't heard for almost 19 years but quite a find. Chris Moyles on the afternoon of 9/11, more or less the entire show (with music chopped out). Also included is some recordings of the following days, quite a listen to be honest.

I've set the video to start at the time of the 9/11 show, the recordings of the events in total run until 3hrs 47 mins into the video. Worth checking out the channel as there's lot of classic afternoon show recordings on there too circa 2000-2003.

By Kylerickards1974
Interesting thank you.

Whilst we’re kind of on the discussion about old clips, does anybody remember how Moyles subtly distances himself from Savile, perhaps after the funeral? I always remember hearing it and it was striking - he was very very careful to pick his words carefully, saying there’s more to things or he wasn’t always what people thought. Most odd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By VMPhil
Absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for posting, I’ve been waiting for years for more clips of this show to turn up.
By DC
I'm not sure who's got the keys to the sound vault these days on here. But I've ripped an mp3 of the 9/11 stuff. I've boosted the volume as the youtube audio is fairly quiet, and edited out those silent gaps inbetween. So feel free to add it if need be whoever does that.

https://ia601503.us.archive.org/34/item ... io%201.mp3
By VMPhil
Put together a playlist of songs from the September 11th show for anyone interested. May not be every song played depending on whether parts of the show weren’t recorded, though I know for certain that we’re missing 4.00–4.30pm as the recording skips from the end of the 4pm news to the 4.30 news, although luckily the 4.15 update with Chris talking to Clare Bradley is already in the sound vault. Timestamps taken from DC’s Archive.org upload above. OPM was a bit of an unfortunate choice.

September 11th 2001 playlist

Stereophonics — ‘Step on My Old Size Nines’ (last song on Mark and Lard’s show)

0:00:15 — 3.00pm news

Gorillaz — ‘Clint Eastwood (Ed Case & Sweetie Irie Refix)’
India.Arie — ‘Brown Skin (Bedroom Rockers Radio Mix)’
Roger Sanchez — ‘Another Chance’
Artful Dodger feat. Melanie Blatt — ‘TwentyFourSeven’

0:05:08 — 3.30pm news

Jamiroquai — ‘Little L’
Shaggy feat. Samantha Cole — ‘Luv Me, Luv Me’
Brian Harvey & The Refugee Crew — ‘Loving You (Olé Olé Olé)’
OPM — ‘Heaven Is a Halfpipe’
Blue — ‘Too Close’
The Ones — ‘Flawless’
Kelis — ‘Good Stuff’

0:10:12 — 4.00pm news (4.15pm update available in sound vault)
0:11:55 — 4.30pm news

Gabrielle — ‘Sunshine’
Mis-Teeq — ‘All I Want’
Jean Jacques Smoothie — ‘2 People’
Macy Gray feat. Erykah Badu — ‘Sweet Baby’
Sunshine Anderson — ‘Heard It All Before’

0:17:50 — 5.00pm news

The Supermen Lovers feat. Mani Hoffman — ‘Starlight’
Michael Jackson — ‘You Rock My World’
Basement Jaxx — ‘Romeo’
P. Diddy, Black Rob & Mark Curry — ‘Bad Boy for Life’
Spooks — ‘Things I’ve Seen’

0:25:00 — 5.30pm news

Coldplay — ‘Yellow’
Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mýa & Pink — ‘Lady Marmalade’

0:29:16 — 5.45pm Newsbeat/end of Moyles show.
Last edited by VMPhil on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By DC
Good work, I'd say this is as pretty comprehensive as we're gonna get it for now in regards to September 11th audio from Radio 1.

Looking at that playlist, on the day itself it looks more or less the same as what Radio 1 would be playing about that point anyway. I can't imagine Mark & Lard being any different from the news breaking about 2pm till the end of their show. The only couple that strike me as being thought of to "fit the mood" are maybe Gabrielle and Coldplay.

Chris Price who's currently back at Radio 1 and head of music mentions here they were trying to make sure there wasn't anything too offensive that went out. But they had a small pool to pick from really:-

https://huffingtonpost.co.uk/christophe ... 57331.html

Maybe the more sombre style of music came into play during Dave Pearce's drive show after 6pm. The day after as shown in the show review from this websites archives, says the music was a touch softer on Sept 12th and ther after. Such as Zero 7, Bob Marley & Lauryn Hill, Avalanches etc. Probably a question of more time to think it over.

https://chrismoyles.net/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 39&t=13548
By VMPhil
That Chris Price article is one of the reasons why I went through the playlist, to see what kind of music they were actually playing. As you say it doesn’t jibe with his recollections that they threw out all the usual stuff, most of it is recent chart hits. The oldest songs are Kelis and Gabrielle from 1999.
By DC
I'm guessing it all got far more sombre the day after when the magnitude of the casualties came to light, although the high numbers reported the days after thankfully turned out to be far lower. We know now.

On a sub note to this. Until last year I had access to BBC Redux for a while, the account is now deactivated sadly. You only have a short while. Redux captures the Freeview output which of course includes Radio 1, but it only dates back to July 2007. They do have archival stuff in there but it's mostly TV based material. I did look for old Moyles and Mark & Lard afternoon stuff, but to no avail.

Although Redux not the only archive the BBC maintain. They have a number of others, and I've since learned they have integrated them:-

https://archiveservices.tools.bbc.co.uk/

You never know what could be in here. Sadly as the redux login I was using is no longer active, I can't tell.
By Nicola_Red
DC wrote:I can't imagine Mark & Lard being any different from the news breaking about 2pm till the end of their show.

I was at home listening that day but all I can remember is that they started talking about the scenes being shown on the TV and swiftly abandoned their planned features in favour of just the music. I didn't turn on the TV, and shamefully I just recall being annoyed that they had dropped Lard's Classic Cuts, which was one of my favourites at the time - I really didn't comprehend the magnitude of what was happening. But I don't think they changed the playlist at all at that point.
By DC
Nicola_Red wrote:
DC wrote:I can't imagine Mark & Lard being any different from the news breaking about 2pm till the end of their show.

I was at home listening that day but all I can remember is that they started talking about the scenes being shown on the TV and swiftly abandoned their planned features in favour of just the music. I didn't turn on the TV, and shamefully I just recall being annoyed that they had dropped Lard's Classic Cuts, which was one of my favourites at the time - I really didn't comprehend the magnitude of what was happening. But I don't think they changed the playlist at all at that point.

Yeah most of what Chris is playing is stock playlist for that time. He mentions near the start of the show that Mark & Lard weren't talking much and were just playing records. The day after he just says "thanks to Mark Radcliffe", so obviously no Lard on Wednesday. And the more sombre playlist comes into effect the day after it seems. Although they may have left stuff like Supermen Lovers in that's relatively inoffensive, the likes of Limp Bizkit were obviously a no go.

Nicola_Red wrote:Clip now in the vault, thanks DC:

http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/sound ... ileid=3065

No problem. If I stumble across anything else in the future I'll put it up.