The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By Nicola_Red
Love the Shed Seven reference. At least Ben Cooper remembers that about Chris...
By matthaze
JayE wrote:Thoughts? http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/4530 ... ris-Moyles

Radio 1 isn't ripping Moyles. Ben Cooper is right. Moyles is going after a different audience.

Whether you agree or not that Radio 1 should target a certain demographic, that's what the trust tells them to do. Grimmy's job was to get rid of the older listeners. He's done that. Chris will have a show that picks them up. That's entertainment.

And the Shed Seven reference was hilarious!
By Yudster
matthaze wrote:
JayE wrote:Thoughts? http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/4530 ... ris-Moyles

R Grimmy's job was to get rid of the older listeners. He's done that.

He has - but I don't believe that his job was also to reduce the listening figures. I'm sure the idea was probably to attract more demographically appropriate listeners in at the same time as getting rid of the rest of us. I haven't seen the stats so I think the likelihood is that there may be an increase in younger listeners, but the increase is a lot smaller than the number of oldies they dropped. However much that might have been expected, and however much they might want people to think they are ok with that, the fact is that it looks really bad and if they are ok with it, they really shouldn't be. I don't think they are.
By matthaze
Yudster wrote:He has - but I don't believe that his job was also to reduce the listening figures. I'm sure the idea was probably to attract more demographically appropriate listeners in at the same time as getting rid of the rest of us. I haven't seen the stats so I think the likelihood is that there may be an increase in younger listeners, but the increase is a lot smaller than the number of oldies they dropped. However much that might have been expected, and however much they might want people to think they are ok with that, the fact is that it looks really bad and if they are ok with it, they really shouldn't be. I don't think they are.

Listening habits have changed as well. It's a tough battle they have to face.

Either way, it is what it is. They moved on and so have I. Let's see what Chris does with a new show.

I still love listening to Scott and Greg. The breakfast show isn't for me. So bring on a new one on XFM!
Last edited by matthaze on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Nicola_Red
I still listen to R1 despite being 40 *cough*. I know this is an unpopular opinion round here, but I like Grimmy and would have some hesitation about abandoning his show. I also really enjoy when Scott covers - in fact I now think Scott and Chris are the best broadcasters on R1. Which is ironic given that one of my very first posts here was criticising him and I got into a row about it (with Kendra and Gaspode, I think!) How times change.

All this renewed activity on the forum is making me think maybe I should finish off those Tedious Links! But I don't know if anyone will read them or if *yawn*no-one cares.
By JayE
Nicola_Red wrote:I still listen to R1 despite being 40 *cough*. I know this is an unpopular opinion round here, but I like Grimmy and would have some hesitation about abandoning his show.

Jeez, just me thinking about tuning into radio 1 again gives me a really morbid feeling. I haven't listened to that station since late 2013.
By deimantee1
I don't listen to R1 either. I've tried to tune in to Grimmy's show several times, but it's obvious that it's aimed at teenagers. To be honest, I do think he is entertaing so I definitely see why younger people like him, but his show just isn't something that I'd like to listen to on a day to day basis. I need someone who talks about boilers, mortgages and how to make a curry...
This idea of Moyles coming back is like your favourite band reuniting after a few years. You wonder if it will still be the same, and if the new material will be any good, and if they've still got it.

I would think Aled would jump at the chance to work with Chris again. I get the feeling that he misses the show, and working with the team.

It would be good if it happens, but it will never be the same as it was on Radio 1.

Maybe this was the "big secret project" that he was always Tweeting about and why he sacked off his YouTube career?
By hdsport82
swaddon1903 wrote:This idea of Moyles coming back is like your favourite band reuniting after a few years. You wonder if it will still be the same, and if the new material will be any good, and if they've still got it.

That's why in some respect I hope he goes back to what he was doing back on Capital and before ok not quite as 'deejay' but as when he covered for Greg (with no prep) he showed that he is a true radio professional. I wonder if they try a 'zoo format' it will end up as a pale imitation of the Radio 1 days. He could do with someone to 'bounce off' but without Dave (as seems likely) are they going to find someone where there is that chemistry? If they can't a solo show would be a better listen.

swaddon1903 wrote:I would think Aled would jump at the chance to work with Chris again. I get the feeling that he misses the show, and working with the team.

All the reports say Pippa is meant to be joining him which is a strange one but does in my opinion lend a little credability to the rumours. If it was the media adding 2+2 together and making 5 (or just making stuff up) you would expect Aled would be the one linked as he's obvious one.

Anyway still wearing my sceptical hat until we actually have an announcement.
By doby
hdsport82 wrote:
when he covered for Greg (with no prep) he showed that he is a true radio professional. I wonder if they try a 'zoo format' it will end up as a pale imitation of the Radio 1 days. He could do with someone to 'bounce off' but without Dave (as seems likely) are they going to find someone where there is that chemistry? If they can't a solo show would be a better listen.

I completely disagree with this, it's only entertaining when he has people to bounce off, that's his shtick. He's good at it and it works.

Loosing dave wouldn't be so bad if dom steps up to the plate, they've got just as much chemistry.
By hdsport82
doby wrote:
hdsport82 wrote:
when he covered for Greg (with no prep) he showed that he is a true radio professional. I wonder if they try a 'zoo format' it will end up as a pale imitation of the Radio 1 days. He could do with someone to 'bounce off' but without Dave (as seems likely) are they going to find someone where there is that chemistry? If they can't a solo show would be a better listen.

I completely disagree with this, it's only entertaining when he has people to bounce off, that's his shtick. He's good at it and it works.

He's entertaining when he has the right people to bounce off but I enjoyed his shows on his own and even the few Capital shows I heard (when in the area) he would never have made it to Radio 1 if he couldn't work solo. He does work well with Dom but I don't think there is that unspoken connection during a link there is/was between him and Dave.

I'm sure even in a solo show he'd bring in the producers etc. what I'm suggesting is trying to put a zoo format together with a bunch of new people and maybe Dom would just sound like an imitation of the breakfast show. If it's going to work I think it needs to evolve from that.
Travis Bickle wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:Part of me would love to hear Chris back on the radio, part of me thinks maybe it's all in the past and best left there.

That's the same for me. I'll listen to the new show with an open mind and give it a chance, but if it doesn't work out I'll still have good memories of the peak Radio 1 years and that will do me.

Lets just hope he isn't late for his new show eh ;)

The Deadly wrote:Ah ok I knew that anyway. Chris confided in me.

Deadly is shit. (Or something like that, I've forgotten how the fights work on this site.)
By JayE
3 years ago today. *Feels*

By The Deadly
bmstinton93 wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
Nicola_Red wrote:Part of me would love to hear Chris back on the radio, part of me thinks maybe it's all in the past and best left there.

That's the same for me. I'll listen to the new show with an open mind and give it a chance, but if it doesn't work out I'll still have good memories of the peak Radio 1 years and that will do me.

Deadly is shit. (Or something like that, I've forgotten how the fights work on this site.)

Keep on giving me the smart mouth and I'll show you how it works. I'm a tough guy.
By neilt0
doby wrote:
hdsport82 wrote:

Loosing dave wouldn't be so bad if dom steps up to the plate, they've got just as much chemistry.

Absolutely. Chris on his own when covering was interesting, but ultimately rubbish. He needs good sounding boards.
By Nicola_Red
I'm out of moderating practice. Maybe someone could start a duplicate thread so I could do a merge?

More importantly, I can't upload sound clips anymore. If this new show happens I'm gonna need a refresher course.
bmstinton93 wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

I'm feeling quite nostalgic here!

Who would have thought three years would feel like such a long time :-o
By hdsport82
JayE wrote:Nice the press are using a new adjective now, not just the same old "loudmouth"

Can't use the phrase 'roly-poly DJ' either what will they do if the comeback does happen?! Still saw a few of those old promo pictures from the launch of the breakfast show though, just the eleven and a half years out of date now.

Friday is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/d[…]