Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
bmstinton93 wrote:Aled, can you answer me a technical question please?

On my DAB radio when I listen to radio 1 it says Radio 1 on the screen as it should do but "BBC Vision Trial" keeps flashing up in its place. I know that BBC vision trial was that week this year and last year where you filmed the show but why should that be flashing up on my DAB radio now??

I honestly don't know - but I'll look into it.
newsbeat wrote:Aled, are the new newsbeat beds/themes etc going to be launched this weekend? If not, when are they going to be launched?

Possibly in a fortnight. I haven't heard for sure - but think i heard someone say.
biggspuds wrote:i bet old duckie is a right little hitler at work?

What is your beef? I was answering your question because you are to lazy to find out why.

You do someone a favour and they get all pissy with you
DevilsDuck wrote:

What is your beef? I was answering your question because you are to lazy to find out why.

<<< i like a barney ;)
Aled wrote:
biggspuds wrote:Aled i bet your brain is fried with this lot .

It's merely a continuation of my working day!

go and have a woo woo, you deserve it!
biggspuds wrote:
DevilsDuck wrote:

<<< i like a barney ;)

I'm all for everyone having a fetish, but thats just weird
Will you two give it a rest and go somewhere else to play.

Aled - that makes far more sense that what I felt you original post was saying which was that every single conversation must be analysed in case it offends a tiny number of people who may be offended by cornflakes.
With the jokes thing, the only thing I'm confused about is that they appeared on the BBC News website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11053202 (fwiw, I can only see number 2 and 4 where I'd show caution, cos it looks like they're asking for trouble.) I'dve thought that if they can appear on there, then they'd be fine to broadcast.

On totally unrelated notes, has the "hello Xday international radio one" thing been stopped? I haven't heard it since you all came back from holidays. Oh and is there any chance of dave doing more golden hours? Cos I thought he was canny good today, or is that Chris's baby?
Aled wrote:
Let me give you one example. I remember working in the daytime office in Radio 1 - so that would have been within the last 9 years - and someone on Jo Whiley's team put their phone on loudspeaker. It was Lenny Henry who left a voice message expressing disappointment in us for playing a song with the 'N' word in it. I remember my reaction was shock, and thinking he was being a bit sensitive and over reacting but the word wasn't used in an angry way. A few of us had a discussion as to whether there was anything in it, and I think the end judgement was the 'N' word was continued to be used in that case.

I'm white. And at that time the word was used. Lenny showed us through complaining that there were black people who were becoming offended and were feeling uncomfortable with that word. I didn't get it.

Fast forward 9 years and the 'N' word is one of the 4 most sinful words for the BBC and you will not hear it on Radio 1 without permission from the highest level.

Interesting info, from what I can remember either M.O.P.'s Cold As Ice or a song by Ol' Dirty Bastard featured the song (I could be wrong it could be someone else).

I'll be honest I absolutely hate the word, it's nasty sounding anyway. However without turning this into a race debate, I find the whole argument that some black people use the word to "claim it back" as a poor argument because as far as I know the N word was invented by white people as a derogatory term to black people.

Either way that's for another thread.

Tuesday show is up