Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By DemonHorse
how about reinstating Buzz Off, just at a later time in the show, say just after one of the news bulletins?

*but please before 8.30 otherwise I won't be able to listen :p
By Jono
Aled wrote:As for team changes, what are you refering to? Will? If so, that happened at the end of May.

Sorry I meant the off-air team such as Natasha moving.

demonhorse wrote:how about reinstating Buzz Off, just at a later time in the show, say just after one of the news bulletins?

lol I'm actually starting to miss Buzz Off - apart from the classical music. But I agree with Aled about the sponataneous side of it.

Is the pub quiz staying?
By Uglybob
i liked the buzz off cos of the crap he would put on
By David
Thank god they didnt drop car park catchphrase.
By bliss
ii, car park cathphrase is excellent especially if u hav thick contestants
By stevenuk
Aled wrote:We planned on dropping Car Park Catchphrase at the end of last year, but we got such a negative response to the idea that we kept it.

No never get rid of this! its the best part of the show!
By Chongster
Aled, its my birthday in a weeks time, (24th July) would you be kind enough to either call/email or whatever me a happy birthday on the day? Pwetty Pwease?
By Jonny Hoare
*above*

What a chancer
By Jono
chongster wrote:Aled, its my birthday in a weeks time, (24th July) would you be kind enough to either call/email or whatever me a happy birthday on the day? Pwetty Pwease?

I'm sure he's busy. We'll ring you instead
By DemonHorse
or get 'our mate Scott' to do it :p
By MC
Aled wrote:Now, now. Don't be nasty. The average time people listen to Radio 1 is something around 8 minutes. Plus the VAST majority of people don't listen every day.

You and the others on these forums who listen to every feature and every show every day are a tiny minority. You will tire of things much quicker than the rest of our audience, for which, research shows, the routine of features and the familiarity this gives when the DO dip in and out is a massive plus point and something we shouldn't throw away because you're bored.

I see your point Aled. I do enjoy the show, but its just because I've been listening to a lot of old shows lately doing research for the site (I'm talking mega old - 98/99ish), and the shows and features are just so much funnier then. I know that familiarity with listeners is extremely important, but even on afternoons you tended to revamp stuff more frequently than every 18 months, e.g ideas for features suggested by listeners etc. Perhaps I should dip in and out a bit more and they wouldn't tire me so much.

It's the pub quiz mainly I have to admit. CPC does bore me a fair bit, but I admit with thick callers it still has comedy value. Do you get a good reaction to the pub quiz? To me the crappy boys vs girls thing is sooo local radio. Chris Moyles is better than that...
By Quincy
MC wrote:I see your point Aled. I do enjoy the show, but its just because I've been listening to a lot of old shows lately doing research for the site (I'm talking mega old - 98/99ish), and the shows and features are just so much funnier then.

Exactly. there were basically no exact time slots for the features, and there werent even that many regular features. the randomness was what was so good. listening to them talking about drunken antics was the best. obviously this cant happen now it has to be more structured or whatever, but the first half hour is good for this.
By Ste
CPC is great definately not to be scrapped. I find the show really picks up at 8 and definately no problems after then. The first hour certainly does need a feature though. Maybe bring back a classic feature and just try it out like Viaduct or something.
By Aled
MC wrote:
Aled wrote:Now, now. Don't be nasty. The average time people listen to Radio 1 is something around 8 minutes. Plus the VAST majority of people don't listen every day.

You and the others on these forums who listen to every feature and every show every day are a tiny minority. You will tire of things much quicker than the rest of our audience, for which, research shows, the routine of features and the familiarity this gives when the DO dip in and out is a massive plus point and something we shouldn't throw away because you're bored.

I see your point Aled. I do enjoy the show, but its just because I've been listening to a lot of old shows lately doing research for the site (I'm talking mega old - 98/99ish), and the shows and features are just so much funnier then. I know that familiarity with listeners is extremely important, but even on afternoons you tended to revamp stuff more frequently than every 18 months, e.g ideas for features suggested by listeners etc. Perhaps I should dip in and out a bit more and they wouldn't tire me so much.

It's the pub quiz mainly I have to admit. CPC does bore me a fair bit, but I admit with thick callers it still has comedy value. Do you get a good reaction to the pub quiz? To me the crappy boys vs girls thing is sooo local radio. Chris Moyles is better than that...

Point taken. Pub Quiz, no comment. I think as Acting Producer I don't think I should be giving opinion on show features, if I say I love them all you'll think I'm bull, if I slag them off I could get into trouble - so I'm going to have to back out of that one.

What then, is better 7 years ago to now then? Be as specific as possible.
By Aled
Quincy wrote:
MC wrote:I see your point Aled. I do enjoy the show, but its just because I've been listening to a lot of old shows lately doing research for the site (I'm talking mega old - 98/99ish), and the shows and features are just so much funnier then.

Exactly. there were basically no exact time slots for the features, and there werent even that many regular features. the randomness was what was so good. listening to them talking about drunken antics was the best. obviously this cant happen now it has to be more structured or whatever, but the first half hour is good for this.

Were'nt the shows 2 hours or less that many years ago. Chris is the most strict out of all of us about keeping features in the same place as we're very aware how much the audiences change from one 10 min slot to the next. Putting day 2 of a comp at 8:10, then day 3 at 8:40 is stupid as almost entirely different audiences will be listening at those times. so we can't let features slide around.

Can't be as alchohol heavy, breakfast has a much younger audience and who wants to think about alcohol over breakfast? The alcos won't even be up yet!
By Gaspode_The_Wonder_Dog
i know there isn't much you can do about it but all the announcements and rubbish ticket giveaways broke up the show a lot. giving out the number seemed to be all that was on.
By fish heads
82 Trains on a 125 platform.
By Chongster
Jonny Hoare wrote:*above*

What a chancer

dont get no where without asking :D
By David
Aled wrote: The alcos won't even be up yet!

They'll just be coming home. So get Chris drunk one morning!

I think for me, the main difference is the fact the show is on in the morning. When it was on in the afternoon you had the whole day to look forward to it, and I was able to listen 100% to the show. now the first thing I realise when I wake up is the jingle starting at 6.55.
By Quincy
by the time i wake up i realise that ive missed the show
By Betti911
Lucky you. Wish I had the bank holiday off :(
By Adam
Aled - you've been here a while and had many questions asked to you. As you're probably aware there aren't that many Radio 1 DJ fan sites that have been as successful as chrismoyles.net :-

• Would you say the site (including the forum) has helped the show much from improvements or suggestions that have been posted?
By bliss
Aled, why have are you goin on a boating holiday on friday, i agree with most people that it is not a popular holiday.
By Steve.
As someone rightly texted in this morning, they've just got back off holiday! I'd happily take the boating thing as well, but maybe I'm just easily satisfied.
By Nicky
Either way, it made for a pretty good jingle this morning.
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]

Saturday show is up