Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By fish heads
Aled wrote:
Adam wrote:Aled,

If I may ask - on yesterdays show, just before Chris Moyles played JAY-Z - 99 PROBLEMS, there was a lady saying random number and it sounded like " 7 10 what does it mean?"

Am I hearing things?

7, 10, 1, 4... Don't you watch Lost?

I do, but since I know the numbers plot doesn't launch into full power until tonight on c4, surely you should have waited a couple of weeks to do this campaign - or at least the end of this one.
By Adam
Aled,

What happened to the other members of the team, why didnt they come along with you?

Secondly, if I was to say: "Another normal show today, i still cant see the point of the whole New York Holiday, the show is just the same except it's a little less funnier."

What would your responce be?
By Aled
fish heads wrote:
Aled wrote:

If I may ask - on yesterdays show, just before Chris Moyles played JAY-Z - 99 PROBLEMS, there was a lady saying random number and it sounded like " 7 10 what does it mean?"

Am I hearing things?

I do, but since I know the numbers plot doesn't launch into full power until tonight on c4, surely you should have waited a couple of weeks to do this campaign - or at least the end of this one.

Won't the whole of the Radio 1 audience who watch Lost now go "oh, I see" when they see tonight's episode? Won't the fact that our "reveal" trails which begin tomorrow are in fact perfectly timed?

I think it's a bit of fun which has caused some discussion, which is surely what a trail is supposed to do.
By Fathomer
Aled- what did you have for tea today?
Could you give me a quick welsh phrase..?
and was 50 Cent a bit intimidating....
By Aled

What happened to the other members of the team, why didnt they come along with you?

Secondly, if I was to say: "Another normal show today, i still cant see the point of the whole New York Holiday, the show is just the same except it's a little less funnier."

What would your responce be?

Dom and Carrie needed to be near base. News and Sport for one show is an entirely different ball game to spending a week away from the resources they have for them in London. Tasha needed to stay in London as we need someone to stay at base and co-ordinate all the backroom stuff that is normally done and to some extent to do what I do during the days when I'm in London. Jocelin is coming out today because BBC guidlines say that in most cases if we're sending people abroad on a competition that there should be a BBC person with them to ensure that everything goes alright. Outside the UK the prize normally rests outside the BBC's control so we send someone to deal with any issues which may crop up.

Btw, it takes real skill to make the show sound normal when it's done outside your usual studio - it's not easy, that aside, I accept the listener need never care about that. The fact that it's a "little funnier than usual" is great. Feedback shows that what our audience like most from the show is when some or all of the team are placed in different situations and how they adapt. Me, out and about, Dave and Chris doing events, Rachel being set up. It was some of the best feedback we had from Portugal and it's the basis of the shows from New York. Us out and about meeting new characters, Dave and his steam, the team and culture, Chris and Sirius, the new DJs, Chris and Gabby, me and my packages, Chris meeting big stars over in the US (P Diddy is giving us his first UK interview in 3 years because we're on his patch). 50 Cent was comfortable because we interviewed him in Sirius which is where he has a radio station.

Add to that new colour to a competition format (we're already here, come and join us), the new jingles (which are going down a treat), a daily podcast (which are generating huge figures), the launching of our mobile site (with great pics that's really pushing penetration with our audience) and the reinforcement that Radio 1 IS in fact global unlike our competitors.

I could go on, but I'm getting RSI :)
By Gaspode_The_Wonder_Dog
i liked the Empire State bit today. "its called the Empire State because New York State is known as the Empire State..." Er thats not an explanation.

i haven't heard much because I have exams and dont need to get up in the morning but its sounding good to me.
By Mafro
Whats's with slagging off Scots, Aled? :cry:
By David
well said Aled.
I'll be honest, after Mondays show I was a little disapointed (I suppose it was a whole different setup), but hearing yesterday and today I think it's sounding excellent.

And any technical faults sound really funny. Like the callers not being able to hear Chris!
By Capes
Aled, i very much appreciate your very thought through explinations, and yes i think you are doing a good job and that any tecnical faults make it all the funnier and entertaining (anything that went right all the time would get boring!)
However don't you think that with all the effort and extra publicity, with guests such as 50 Cent, P Diddy etc dont you think that when you get back people will be thinking "Back to the norm now, why cant they be as good as they were in NYC as now"?
However, i do think you all do a very good job and i am thoroughly enjoying ALL your shows UK and US!
By fish heads
Aled wrote:
fish heads wrote:
Aled wrote:

Am I hearing things?

Won't the whole of the Radio 1 audience who watch Lost now go "oh, I see" when they see tonight's episode? Won't the fact that our "reveal" trails which begin tomorrow are in fact perfectly timed?

I think it's a bit of fun which has caused some discussion, which is surely what a trail is supposed to do.

Fair enough. That's why you are in Radio and I'm not! :D
By Dickie
Aled wrote:...me and my packages...

...really pushing penetration with our audience...

Calm down Aled!
By Adam
Good mornin'
By Mk.
Well defended Aled.

One question: Define feedback. Do you just mean what you get through on the texts and emails? Or do you have a different, special method of garnering show opinion?
By iSeb
Mk. wrote:Well defended Aled.

One question: Define feedback. Do you just mean what you get through on the texts and emails? Or do you have a different, special method of garnering show opinion?

And does it include BBC LACs?
By Aled

Paid for research, texts, e-mails, friends, peers and just general feeling after the events.
By Aled
Sarcasm Central wrote:

I don't know what that means. But then it wouldn't be me that goes and gets the feedback.
By al3000
I think the shows from NY are fantastic, I've really enjoyed listening :D I really like the daily podcasts, and the jingles are great..really funky. Keep up the great work :)
By Fathomer
Will the Chris Moyles Show be affected by the supposed strike next year? The strike about production management restructuring...
By Adam
Aled,

Can I just say that Moyles and Dave did a really good job during the Ground Zero visit. As people have said - Moyles can achieve can serious and do his usual ace show. Did you go - what did you think?
Last edited by Adam on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DC
Yes it's good to hear Chris can cover all different types of situations. It's been a great week.
By al3000

Can I just say that Moyles and Dave did a really good job during the Ground Zero visit. As people have said - Moyles can achieve can do serious and do his usual ace show. Did you go - what did you think?

I agree, I thought that was handled well, I'm glad it wasn't ignored.
By iSeb
Aled wrote:
Sarcasm Central wrote:

I don't know what that means. But then it wouldn't be me that goes and gets the feedback.

BBC Local Advisory Councils, I was asked to join London's, but unfortunatly was busy on the date of the induction meeting thingy...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/acc/local_ ... cils.shtml
By q

Can I just say that Moyles and Dave did a really good job during the Ground Zero visit. As people have said - Moyles can achieve can serious and do his usual ace show. Did you go - what did you think?

However, I think someone was hasty with the play button at the end of the package, because the Coldplay track crashed in whilst the NY cabbie was still speaking, and it sort of spoiled it a bit.
By Mafro
Aled you poser!!!