Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Wykey
charlalottie wrote:We're complaining about an advert storyline where the halloween party carries on after christmas.

Which in and of itself featured hip and no doubt happening yoofs playing 'records' one after the other via the medium of live streaming on a laptop connected to a wi-fi connection.

More concerning about the current advert is not that his mother is back so sooooon, but that it's the evening and he's sat in the house watching the television.

He's supposed to be a student, he should be in the pub.
By Nicola_Red
Oh, are they? I did not pick up on that. I thought the lad - that dude from My Family's stepson, not Simon - was doing like a 'going off to uni for the first time' thing in the first ad in the series.
By chrysostom
I wasn't basing it on anything other than their lifestyle that's been shown through the adverts and the quality (/location?) of their accommodation.

They're probably meant to be undergrads - but that's a woeful representation of first years at any University.
By Wykey
Not that there's anything wrong with being a virgin, obviously. But, well, you know, Vyvyan would have had them wearing an "I AM A VIRGIN" sign around their neck 30 years ago.
By R94N
I imagine I'll be living off crackers, bourbon biscuits and water if I get to university.
By Nicola_Red
I lived at home when I went to uni, so nothing much really changed for me. In hindsight I probably missed out on some of the social aspects of uni, but I never struggled for money or housing, and I took advantage of the student loans that were available at the time with a ridiculously low interest rate (deferring for 17yrs - only 3 more to go and they write it off!)
By R94N
I'm close to a lot of them so perhaps that is an option. Depends on what my parents are willing to put up with I suppose.
By chrysostom
Living at home during university was one of the worst decisions I ever made. Have a serious think before you decide if you're going to do so - it can have a very serious impact on your social life and how you develop your friend groups & social skills.
By Bonanzoid
chrysostom wrote:Living at home during university was one of the worst decisions I ever made. Have a serious think before you decide if you're going to do so - it can have a very serious impact on your social life and how you develop your friend groups & social skills.

I can vouch for this. There were many financial benefits to living at home, but I definitely wasn't as social as some people. Not with people on my course anyway. I could still go out and struggle to handle my drink at 18 with other friends.
By Nicola_Red
chrysostom wrote:Living at home during university was one of the worst decisions I ever made. Have a serious think before you decide if you're going to do so - it can have a very serious impact on your social life and how you develop your friend groups & social skills.

I wouldn't say I regret it personally - it meant I got to do a course that at the time was only offered by two other universities, both in London, and I dunno if it had any adverse effect on my social skills. I did make friends on my course, but in the pre-social networking era I didn't keep in touch with any of them - I do kinda regret that.
By Wykey

What if you don't go to University?
By chrysostom
I was speaking about how your social life, friend groups and skills will develop in that specific situation of living away from University accommodation (at home), and my experiences with it.

If your peer group is socially meeting on a regular basis, live near each other and are living in each others pockets, while you are constantly restricted by having to go home, be in by a certain time and not bring people home - it's very easy to be left out. It's also very easy to dismiss them and cling to your existing friends, which denies you the opportunity to expand your peer group.

It wasn't a dig at people who don't go to University, as social development still continues under different parameters.

There is generally less time to doss about when you're working - whereas at University, there is more down time to engage in social activities and your peer group is on your doorstep (if you live on campus), meaning that if you're separated from that - your social experience will be different to that of a majority of your peer group.
By Wykey
I wasn't taking it as a dig, I was just curious whether there was a comparison - across the board.

Besides, as the Ron Swanson pyramid of greatness tells us, 1-3 friends is sufficient.
By chrysostom
Wykey wrote:Besides, as the Ron Swanson pyramid of greatness tells us, 1-3 friends is sufficient.

Ron Swanson quotes make my day SO much better :D
By R94N
chrysostom wrote:I was speaking about how your social life, friend groups and skills will develop in that specific situation of living away from University accommodation (at home), and my experiences with it.

If your peer group is socially meeting on a regular basis, live near each other and are living in each others pockets, while you are constantly restricted by having to go home, be in by a certain time and not bring people home - it's very easy to be left out. It's also very easy to dismiss them and cling to your existing friends, which denies you the opportunity to expand your peer group.

It wasn't a dig at people who don't go to University, as social development still continues under different parameters.

There is generally less time to doss about when you're working - whereas at University, there is more down time to engage in social activities and your peer group is on your doorstep (if you live on campus), meaning that if you're separated from that - your social experience will be different to that of a majority of your peer group.

I haven't made any firm decisions yet, but I will have to soon. Thank you for your insight.
Last edited by R94N on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Bruvva
boboff wrote:Yes! Get in Simons got a date!!!!!!

Now we just need to work on Brother!

Are you offering?
By Yudster
Simon met someone online! He's taking her to a gig on Friday night!
By Boboff
Bruvva wrote:
Are you offering?

Get your coat love, you've pulled!

*checked twice for spelling and grammar.

Get You're Coat Love, Youve pulled, would have had repercussions.
By Wykey
Yudster wrote:Simon met someone online! He's taking her to a gig on Friday night!

*cough*Thai Bride*cough*