Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Boboff
Hello Techie people

My daughter has locked her Ipod touch.

Basically I have followed all the advice, and it hinges around holding down the home button when you first plug it in and it should go into recovery mode so you can restore settings.

Well this one won't.

It does seem to me that this is a bit easy for a thief to do, but as I am not, I want it to be easy.

Does anyone know of another way? I have tried on another pc with "fresh" itunes but exactly the same, it says... you ipod is locked enter the passcode.

I have tried all the other stuff with holding the power on with the home button for 30 secs, and all I have to show for it is sore thumbs!

I need to keep up cool techie Dad facade so any advice would be welcome

(I can't phsyically read the serial number on the back of the phone either to call tech services!)
By chrysostom
Some Techie Website wrote:According to Apple, if you have forgotten the code, you can unlock the iPod by doing the following:

Connect your iPod to the primary computer you use it with (the first one iPod synced with), and open iTunes. When you disconnect iPod from the computer, it will no longer be locked.

If you can't unlock iPod using either [the code or connecting it to the computer you use to manage its songs] you can restore your iPod to factory settings using iPod Updater. Please note that this will erase all data on your iPod. Afterwards, you can add your music and data back to your iPod.

If you want to change the primary computer that your iPod is associated with, do this:

1. Restore your iPod. Warning: The restore process cannot be undone. All of your songs and files will be deleted. Always make a backup of your important data.

2. Connect your iPod to the computer that you want to be the primary computer.

3. Open iTunes and synchronize.

Apple also notes that company "representatives cannot unlock an iPod if you forget your combination. If you can't unlock your iPod and you don't have access to the primary computer, your only option is to restore the iPod, which will erase all music and data."

Sorry boboff, I assume you've tried all this (is the computer you're syncing it with the primary one?)

edit. I've just found this which talks about putting it into DFU mode and restoring it?
By bmstinton93
I've used DFU mode for my iPhone before and it worked. I did it on someone's iPod touch as well when it got locked.
By Boboff
I tried it, but alas it doesn't want to play, keeps telling me to enter code.

Thanks anyway.......
By catherine
Has she set a password but can't remember it? Take it in to an apple shop with proof of purchase.
By chrysostom
The Apple website says:

Apple representatives cannot unlock an iPod if you forget your combination. If you can't unlock your iPod and you don't have access to the primary computer, your only option is to restore the iPod, which will erase all music and data.
By Boboff
I can't do anything with it on the computer so it's going to have to be a shop, or sent away.

Arse!
By Boboff
Thanks Chris

I tried this again, and still no joy, I actually think that the buttons might be dodgey!
By bmstinton93
Don't you have to press the lock button slightly before pressing the home button as well? It does take a few tries.
By neilt0
As Chris says, it's all about the timing. I had trouble getting mine in DFU mode, but after many tries, it worked.
By Boboff
Whenever I press the home button the logo comes up straight away though?

I must have tried 20 times, and always the same, followed the videos etc to the letter, downloaded Recboot, copied .dll files, and apple file, loads of free shite software, which I then had to uninstall, a load of search engines and homepages, and after all that it still won't work!

I am looking at a manual thing at the moment but need the type of Ipad touch ( I know it's 8gb but not what version, and she's lost the box!) so all in all I am stuffed

Thanks though
By Boboff
Well my friends, success.

Plugged in daughters laptop, and it synced and then restores, just like that 30 minutes tops and all done and restored from the backup!

Wonderful Apple, and I have officially Fat fingers!!

Seriously though thank you for your input it is appreciated.