Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Chris
Right, as it seems to be turning into a 'big deal', let's set a few things straight.

There is more than one moderator. There are more than two moderators. Take a look:

Moderator log.png

Moderation mostly (95% of the time) consists of banning spammers and cleaning threads up where spammers have posted. If we don't do this then the place will rapidly turn to shit.

Virtually all other moderation is merging threads to make things read a little better. This is so you don't have to open thread after thread asking the same thing.

The moderator logs tell me that almost never are actual posts deleted or modified.

I've always been keen on minimal intervention, mostly because this place has always been pretty self-moderating. Someone posts something which is disagreeable, people jump on them and (not so) politely explain that they are a moron. Someone keeps doing it and eventually I get so tired of people complaining that I ban them (see chrisjames saga).

The forum rules were dreamt up one lunchtime nearly ten years ago. They aren't supposed to be all-encompassing, and in the most part they are ignored. In the absence of any other rules, they are there - but they shouldn't be considered as rules which can't be adapted or added to - this is your place as much as mine, probably more so as many of you spend more time here than I do.

Moderation is thankless. Nobody appreciates the majority of the work that is done as the whole purpose is that nobody ever sees it. One the rare occasions that a moderator gets something wrong, it is not a hanging offence. Think about the 100s of other edits they have done for your benefit that you have never even seen.

I'm not standing up for any particular individual by saying all this, merely standing up for the moderators as a team. If you have personal gripes or wish to engage in frank discussions then go for it (with moderators or otherwise) ... but don't use the fact someone has the permission to moderate as a grounds to attack them.
By chrysostom
I found this that somewhat puts across the point:

The Daily Life of a Moderator wrote:You've probably always wondered, "so what's it like to be a mod"? I'll tell you, of my perspective.

First, think of it like giving up all your worldly possessions. Well, not quite, but you have to end up giving up a lot:

1. You can't do what you like anymore. And you always have to watch your words and actions. Everyone will point their fingers at you. Even if it's not your fault.

2. Everyone is watching you. You lose a lot of your freedoms in order to serve the community. No longer can you goof around in order to do what you like. It's also about watching over others, and sometimes, that get in the way of what you want to do. This is partially the reason I can never make signifcant progress on my other things (Particularly, my Forum Skins and my Story) - You guys and your actions make it hard for me to be able to focus too long on what I wish I could work on

3. Everyone will make my job harder. Particularly recently. Like some recent threads; Every time I do my job, I will ALWAYS get a pm of hate. And then there are the people on this forum that everyone hates. Everyone wishes I did, but you can't ban stupid. You must hold restraint at times. Sometimes, with some users, this makes it almost impossible.

So I'll elaborate. Like all of you, I also have a life. School, HW, Sports, Family, Friends. Then comes my Collegeapps and the mountains of essays. So after all of this, I get on the forums.

After I read AND respond to EACH pm sent to me while at school, I then go and log everything that I do so that i make and keep track of infractions every single day and unban users promptly (or ban them). Then I go through some random threads in the forums in order to get some other posts not reported. Certain users are reliable, but some others, I have to watch. Then I got to go through and then apply disciplinary actions to ALL users. Infractions are long and tedious to make, and the lot of you people make this no easier.

But there is a bright side to this all. Occasionally (maybe once... every weeks) I get a thank you pm for what I do from SOME users. At least this makes me happy. At least that does. But then at the end of the day, this cycle starts all over... again.
By Tunster
Totally appreciated Chris. Running a forum with good-will/charity of others will always be a thankless job, especially the bigger the forum gets in users. I don't think anyone has had any issues with the amount of mods here or the work they do. It's a very clean forum (in terms of spam and general shite that gets chucked at it from spammers/trolls). However, it's been how the moderation has been conducted at times. Realisation that certain posts even from genuine users can be modified/deleted without warning if they don't break the rules. That scares the shite out of me because that shows moderators could possibly have a personal agenda to make threads sounds a particular way or otherwise in their favour.

Do the moderators have a code of conduct? It's a genuine question because I would assume moderators would contact posters before they make deletions/edits on debatable posts? (unless they continue illegal material or break rules). I'd be happy to have a proactive approach from mods wherever possible if there's anything questionable.
Last edited by Tunster on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Nicola_Red
No, we do not have a code of conduct.
By dimtimjim
Everythings good, in moderation... Like cake. Cake is good, but too much and its becomes bad.

So, today, to celebrate 250 weeks service, I've bought cakes for all medical-team members.
By Chris
Tunster wrote:Realisation that certain posts even from genuine users can be modified/deleted without warning if they don't break the rules. That scares the shite out of me because that shows moderators could possibly have a personal agenda to make threads sounds a particular way or otherwise in their favour.

While completely true (and very paranoid), I can't think of a single example of that which has occurred on this forum. If it makes you feel worse I can play around in the database and make my posts look like they were made by you. It's the fact that it does not happen that's the important point to take away from this discussion.

I don't think we really need to go to extreme lengths to make sure that posts which contain three dots are/are not deleted in the future.
By a-moron
It's the one's with 4 dots that should be deleted.
By DevilsDuck
OH MY GOD!

That must be a banning offence...if not a corporal punishment offence!
By Tunster
Chris wrote:
Tunster wrote:Realisation that certain posts even from genuine users can be modified/deleted without warning if they don't break the rules. That scares the shite out of me because that shows moderators could possibly have a personal agenda to make threads sounds a particular way or otherwise in their favour.

While completely true (and very paranoid), I can't think of a single example of that which has occurred on this forum. If it makes you feel worse I can play around in the database and make my posts look like they were made by you. It's the fact that it does not happen that's the important point to take away from this discussion.

I don't think we really need to go to extreme lengths to make sure that posts which contain three dots are/are not deleted in the future.

I'm completely okay with yourself editing the website how you fit. Don't give a crap if you want to try and edit the database as you pay for it. It's just small, hidden changes that go under the radar made by all mods and that does include the three dot incident.

All I'm saying is that I'd be pished off if someone edited/deleted anything that wasn't offending/illegal that I'd written and not been told. That's all. Maybe I'm fussy. Maybe I'm not. You decide. 8O

By dimtimjim
I have to ask, Andy, but of all the images of DC out there, why a topless one?!!!

Some peeps are jus' sick... :wink:
By Chris
Tunster, you don't know how much willpower it's taken not to edit your post for comic effect.

All moderator actions are logged in a huge great big list which I can view. They cannot edit this log, so if any of the team took to messing around with people's posts, then I would know about it. I hope that makes you feel better.
By a-moron
bmstinton93 wrote:Oh dear! I've only just clicked on Badger's links!

Yay! You cared.
By dimtimjim
And back to cakes...
By Tunster
Chris wrote:Tunster, you don't know how much willpower it's taken not to edit your post for comic effect.

All moderator actions are logged in a huge great big list which I can view. They cannot edit this log, so if any of the team took to messing around with people's posts, then I would know about it. I hope that makes you feel better.

I can now kick back with a cup of tea. Thank-you...
By a-moron
Chris wrote:Tunster, you don't know how much willpower it's taken not to edit your post for comic effect.

All moderators have a huge great big fist which I can view, even from outer space. They cannot edit this log but may smell it, so if any of the team took to messing around with people's rude bits, then I would know about it. I hope that makes you feel better.
By Tunster
Chris wrote:
Tunster wrote:I can now kick back with a cup of tea. Thank-you...

Image1.png

By The Deadly
The moderation is fine on the whole and the issues I've had with Nic in recent weeks haven't been moderation issues. On the whole she has done a cracking job of. Not only maintaining the site but also clipping things etc. I have a slight issue with Chris James being back here as he clearly hasn't learnt his lesson but that's just personal opinion.
By a-moron
Tunster wrote:Image

Seeing as we're posting random gif's and shit in this thread now.

By Chris
Deadly wrote:I have a slight issue with Chris James being back here as he clearly hasn't learnt his lesson but that's just personal opinion.

And you're right about that - he was banned once, he sneaked back in, he's lucky not to be banned again just for that. Thin ice is probably a fair comment on the situation.

Should be sorted now Thanks Ian , yes all ok no[…]

The show is now being streamed on video on the Glo[…]