Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By dimtimjim
So, did anyone watch this last night? I have to admit, I missed it, but if you search hard enough on uTube, its out there (in 3 parts).

I have to say, I quite liked it. More along the lines of the original series than the more modern S7 and S8 remakes. Few typical RD gags and references, spot on.

I was always a massive fan of RD, so feared this may be more pish to tarnish things, but its not so bad, if mildly interested, I suggest you check it out.
By Johnny 1989
I thought it was great fun, not a classic episode like Polymorth, White Hole, Quarantine or Gunmen Of The Apocalypse, but had plenty of gags and the episode could have fitted in anywhere between Series II-VI (the golden era IMO).

Have to say the model work looked outstanding (yes they are models but tweaked slightly with CGI, I think the backgrounds IIRC) and the ship interiors looked great too.

Bring on next week :)
By dimtimjim
III - Vi is the golden era... 2 wasn't quite there yet, in my mind.

Good to know others were on board tho! :)
By The Deadly
As was said earlier its not a patch on seasons 4-6 but its better than the usual tripe you see on TV these days.
By Munki Bhoy
Like others, I feared the worst after VII and VIII (which at least had their moments) and the awful Back To Earth trilogy, but they've gone back to the formula that worked so well in III to VI and the results are as you would expect doing that. From what I've heard, the writing gets better as the series goes on as well, so my expectations have shot up after that first episode.

Mind you, for all I loved the later series when I was younger, the older I get the more I've come to appreciate just how good the first six original episodes were.

I really wish someone would fill in the gap between how they got from the end of the final episode of Series VIII and where we were at the start of Back To Earth. I can more or less fill in the gaps myself, but it would still be nice. Even if it was just a quick scrolling text thing like at the start of Series III!
By Bas
I haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't appear to be as bad as I feared it would be, so I'll try to catch it on iPlayer.

There was an episode of Big Bang Theory a while ago when they planned a Red Dwarf marathon night. And it made me feel proud to be British. :D
By neilt0
Bas wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't appear to be as bad as I feared it would be, so I'll try to catch it on iPlayer.

Good luck with that.
By Nicola_Red
Oh, Dave will repeat it 850 times in the coming week, they do everything else.
By Bas
neilt0 wrote:
Bas wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't appear to be as bad as I feared it would be, so I'll try to catch it on iPlayer.

Good luck with that.

:oops:

Force of habit. :lol:
By slaphead1982
I have to admit. I thought it was much better than I was expecting. I'm a Dwarf fan but I had little hope for this series after "Back to Earth". I was chuckling in parts and smilling in others. It did feel like a return to form.
By Bas
slaphead1982 wrote:I have to admit. I thought it was much better than I was expecting. I'm a Dwarf fan but I had little hope for this series after "Back to Earth". I was chuckling in parts and smilling in others. It did feel like a return to form.

I just watched it on Sky anytime. I agree with Slaphead, it was a lot better than i feared.

The canned laughter was the worst thing about it.
By Johnny 1989
Wasn't canned laughter though, someone on another forum said they went to the live recording and it was just as loud as on screen, a lot of the audience members where fans of the show from years gone by so they were rather over enthusiatic on that first show at least.
By dimtimjim
Got Sky+ set for tonight, don't miss it Peeps!
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]