Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By bmstinton93
I am looking to get a wireless router that plugs straight into an ethernet port rather than a modem or whatever? Is this possible? Is this one? I am so confused. It surely must be possible.
By Nicola_Red
Geek flatmate says all wireless routers can do that.
By bmstinton93
Really? My flatmate has one that has a really weird lead on it that connects to like a phone socket or something. :S I thought I was quite computer savvy but looking at routers i'm ridiculously confused.
By neilt0
If you have Virgin or another cable provider you need a Cable Router -- this plugs in to the ethernet port on the cable modem. The good news is they are cheaper than ADSL (phone line) routers. The one you linked to looks like a cable router.

Look at UK-specific mfr sites to choose a router, as U.S. ones will be confusing.
By neilt0
Nicola_Red wrote:Geek flatmate says all wireless routers can do that.

He's wrong.
By bmstinton93
I am on plusnet but as I am in student accommodation the only sockets I have are Ethernet sockets so therefore no modem to plug anything in to.
By neilt0
bmstinton93 wrote:I am on plusnet but as I am in student accommodation the only sockets I have are Ethernet sockets so therefore no modem to plug anything in to.

What's your plan -- you want to get wi-fi to a device that has no Ethernet port?

In which case, you probably want something like a Travel Router. Talk to the IT person who administers the internet connection to make sure that will work though.
A regular cable modem may work, and will be cheaper, but ask first.
By bmstinton93
neilt0 wrote:
bmstinton93 wrote:I am on plusnet but as I am in student accommodation the only sockets I have are Ethernet sockets so therefore no modem to plug anything in to.

What's your plan -- you want to get wi-fi to a device that has no Ethernet port?

Wanna get it to my phone basically. I have a ethernet box thingy with 4 ports that connects to my xbox and laptop. Now I just wanna be able to connect my phone and also have the ability to move my laptop around easily. Cheers for the help.
By Nicola_Red
neilt0 wrote:

He's wrong.

Oh, well, I have no idea. This is what he said (copied and pasted from text, I'm not with him):

Pretty much all wireless routers have an Ethernet port on the back, so you don't need to have it connected to the phone line for internet access, it will just operate as a switch or wireless access point really.
By neilt0
bmstinton93 wrote:
neilt0 wrote:

Wanna get it to my phone basically. I have a ethernet box thingy with 4 ports that connects to my xbox and laptop. Now I just wanna be able to connect my phone and also have the ability to move my laptop around easily. Cheers for the help.

The cheapest solution (free) would be to use your laptop to bridge the ethernet connection and send wi-fi to your phone. That's assuming your laptop has wi-fi built in.

I believe Vista and later have a wizard to do this. If you have wifi in your laptop and Vista or Win7, try Googling.
By neilt0
Nicola_Red wrote:
neilt0 wrote:

He's wrong.

Oh, well, I have no idea. This is what he said (copied and pasted from text, I'm not with him):

Pretty much all wireless routers have an Ethernet port on the back, so you don't need to have it connected to the phone line for internet access, it will just operate as a switch or wireless access point really.

Routers have ethernet ports to connect devices to the internet, not vice versa.

Some routers can bridge, but the OP doesn't have a router, so getting an ADSL router (more expensive) for this is silly as it may not support bridging, and you also have the issue of double NAT.
By Nicola_Red
Yeah, it's more complicated than I can help with via texting really! The fact I don't really understand it doesn't help either :)
By bmstinton93
neilt0 wrote:The cheapest solution (free) would be to use your laptop to bridge the ethernet connection and send wi-fi to your phone. That's assuming your laptop has wi-fi built in.

I believe Vista and later have a wizard to do this. If you have wifi in your laptop and Vista or Win7, try Googling.

This look at all close?

Untitled.png
By neilt0
bmstinton93 wrote:
neilt0 wrote:The cheapest solution (free) would be to use your laptop to bridge the ethernet connection and send wi-fi to your phone. That's assuming your laptop has wi-fi built in.

This look at all close?

Untitled.png

The Bridge part is promising. You used the wizard?
By bmstinton93
No I just right clicked the local area connection and the wireless network connection and clicked 'Bridge'.
By bmstinton93
Thanks. I'm getting there. Saying connected on my phone but not actually connected as the '3G' is still showing top left. Why am I so crap at things like this...? :(
By bmstinton93
Really not sure why it hasn't worked. Did everything it mentioned and the connection shows up on my iphone and it says it connects and has the tick by the connection but it still isn't actually connected.
By HA94
Have you turned it on and off again?

sorry
By Chris
Turn internet sharing on your Ethernet adapter, not your wireless adapter - then select your wireless adapter in the list of 'how you want to share'. Did you do that?
By bmstinton93
After clicking 'Change adapter settings' I am greeted with this screen. I right clicked on Local Area Connection and shared that one.

Untitled.png

Should be sorted now Thanks Ian , yes all ok no[…]

The show is now being streamed on video on the Glo[…]