Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By JayE
Well I'm currently reading the book Of Mice and Men. It has a great story and from what I've read of it so far it's absolutely brilliant. Quite close to the end now. But the last book I actually read all the way through and finished was Scott Mills' autobiogpraphy which was back in September I think, which i enjoyed. I'm going to try and get back into this reading stuff properly.
Last edited by JayE on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
By chrysostom
I'm listening to the audiobook of the Hunger Games Triology - just a third of the way through the second one (Catching Fire). I'm really enjoying it :)
By Nicola_Red
At the moment I'm reading David Mitchell's Back Story which is great, really amusing and well written. Next up (coincidentally) I have his wife Victoria Coren's For Richer, For Poorer.
By DevilsDuck
I am currently working my way through the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child

They are easy reading and now I have read a few I can see the endings a mile off
By bmstinton93
Travis Bickle wrote:
Yudster wrote: I am reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
heavy on unnecessary detail in places.

Maybe don't watch the film then...
By Travis Bickle
I have already seen the Daniel Craig version. I watched it as soon as I finished the book.
It left out quite a lot actually. I'll watch the three Swedish versions after I've finished the final book.
By bmstinton93
Ah ok I've never read the books but I thought the film was quite graphic enough. I kinda wanna watch the Swedish films but I think I'd rather just wait.
By Yudster
bmstinton93 wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
heavy on unnecessary detail in places.

Maybe don't watch the film then...

I saw a few bits of the Daniel Craig film and that made me want to read it. I haven't seen the film in full although I would like to. I liked the way the dialogue was written, in that stilted way that made it feel like it had been translated. It was effectively done. The book is good, but it hasn't completely absorbed me yet. If it had, I would have finished it in one go.
By Badger Mark
Travis Bickle wrote:

I finished reading that a few weeks ago. Since then I've read The Girl Who Played With Fire and I'm currently on The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest.

All have been excellent, if a little long winded and heavy on unnecessary detail in places.

I listened to the audiobook versions of all 3 books. All were excellent. The reader is Simon Vance (British), and thankfully he doesn't try to fake a Swedish accent. I think if he had I wouldn't have been able to get through the first one let alone the other 2.
By Badger Mark
Travis Bickle wrote:I have already seen the Daniel Craig version. I watched it as soon as I finished the book.
It left out quite a lot actually. I'll watch the three Swedish versions after I've finished the final book.

I thought the Daniel Craig version was pretty good. True - it left out a lot, but given how much was in the book, it had to happen. My wife had never read the book and she was able to follow what was going on for the most part. I did have to fill in a couple of gaps here and there though.
By Badger Mark
I'm currently reading The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. Pretty good so far. I first heard about it on Mayo's drivetime show a couple of weeks ago. Also listening to the audiobook version of The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today by Thomas Ricks (I know - a light and fluffy topic there).
By JayE
I'm currently reading Chris Moyles The Difficult Second Book. I've had for almost a year and after finishing Chris' first book I didn't really see any point in reading the second one, Ah well I've started it so I'll finish it. So far i quite like it, but I'm too early in the book to form an actual opinion on it.
By Nicola_Red
It's okay, but not as good as his first one. Better books in the category of 'random anecdotes from my life' are Why Do I Say These Things? by Jonathan Ross and Thanks For Nothing by Jack Dee.

I'm just finishing up David Mitchell's book and I definitely recommend it, very funny. The story of how his love for Victoria developed is so charming and sweet.
By MK Chris
Nicola_Red wrote:I'm just finishing up David Mitchell's book and I definitely recommend it, very funny. The story of how his love for Victoria developed is so charming and sweet.

They win the award for "couple least likely to get together, but actually now they have it makes so much sense." I think they're both great.
By DevilsDuck
oh my god...how the hell did David Mitchell do that!?!?

I never realised they were a couple
By Yudster
I find Victoria Coren a bit too pleased with herself for me and David Mitchell the same really. So I expect they are a lovely couple.
By Nicola_Red
DevilsDuck wrote:oh my god...how the hell did David Mitchell do that!?!?

I never realised they were a couple

They got married in November. I love them both, so I too think they're a great couple. Mr Red got a reply from her on Twitter last week, he was so excited! I was not aware he had such a crush on her til that happened :)
By dimtimjim
I really like both of them. VC is very pretty, but quite up herself. As long as you can get past that she seems lovely. And DM (no, not danger mouse) seems to be a great chap too.

DevilsDuck wrote:how the hell did David Mitchell do that!?!?

Note: That, not her. Good shizz.
By DevilsDuck
I meant how did he snare her...not how did he do the do with that thing!
By Nicola_Red
That's what I thought you meant Duck :)
By Bonanzoid
I'm currently on American Sniper, Chris Kyle's book about his time in the American armed forces. I bought it after reading about his death and, bar trying to remember all the military acronyms, it's an interesting read.