Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
I was doing really well on my new 'activities regime', right up to the point I injured my arm (elbow), not been able to do anything now for the last three weeks, which is poop.
Deadly wrote:Everyone's idea of 'fat' is different. I think I'm fat still but in reality I'm in great shape right now. If anything I'm underweight.

If you insist that you think you are fat whilst at the same time asserting that you may be underweight, that isn't an "idea of 'fat'", that's an eating disorder.
I'm quite chuffed to have lost a bit of weight recently, given that I've not being trying explicitly to do so. I reckon the fact I've drank a whole lot less in the past year has helped. No idea about exact figures, I just go by what my mummy says haha.
Yudster wrote:I am really fat at the moment.

I've lost count of the number of women I've heard say this, when they actually had great figures and didn't look fat at all. I've not seen a photo so I'll reserve judgement, but I'm willing to bet you're being hard on yourself.
Betting is a mugs game....
I've put on, went from a few pounds to lose, now ideally it's a stone. I'm more about losing inches than the weight though (I'm sure someone will have fun with that line) target is May 2013 when hopefully I'll be going on hol!
charlalottie wrote:Still trying to lose weight and getting really pissed off that the downstairs scales that always say I'm a pound heavier than the upstairs one only seem to match at 10 stone 10 1/2. Downstairs one says I've lost though so now I'm confused and annoyed.

Is either of them electronic? Just reference with one of them. Bare in mind, always do it at the same time each day and preferably in the mornings. Somehow, you lose 3lbs just by sleeping!

You've only got 4 more lbs to go! Keep it up.
I see it's been mentioned on this thread before some time ago, but does anyone here use the 'My Fitness Pal' app?

I've used it since April and during that time I managed to reach my goal weight (9st 6lb) and to subsequently maintain it in the weeks since (apart from a recent holiday, but I'm back to my goal weight now). This is the first time in my adult life that I've managed to lose weight and then keep it off, so I can't recommend it enough.

It's basically a calorie counter where you enter the food you've eaten each day and then offset it against your exercise. You are given a running total of calories you can still eat that day based on your goal and how quickly/gradually you want to reach it. If you are able to keep up with it every day it works wonders. That's not a problem for me as I can be quite obsessive about record-keeping, but even so it has features that make it easier, such as the ability to copy a meal from a previous day.

It's also a website as well as an app - my mum doesn't have a smart phone and uses the site as religiously as I use the app. It's also got its own social network, so you can see the progress of friends/colleagues if they so choose. The app has a few less features, but the bonus of being able to scan barcodes on food items, which saves time finding them on the programme's database.
If anyone is interested in a different approach, I can highly recommend the book When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies by Jane Hirschmann.
It isn't a bad thing, its a good thing and even, to be controversial here - something to be promoted to everyone.

Also Latina, I know that Cat was using MyFitnessPal, and I did for a while - personally I didn't find it much use, but I think Cat liked it more than I did.
Again, sorry for sticking my oar in. I understand you are all invested in losing weight rather than fat acceptance and I didn't mean to imply anything about any one person - except maybe myself. I do have to keep an eye on all the threads (especially since the Beadle incident in this one!) but I should learn when to just read and not post! Please continue your discussion.
Nicola_Red wrote:If anyone is interested in a different approach, I can highly recommend the book When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies by Jane Hirschmann.

Thats a little uncalled for Nic, If ANYONE had posted a comment like that in a thread you were posting in, you really wouldn't like it.
Okay, I've apologised twice and I feel that's enough. If I delete my post nothing that follows will make any sense so I'm not gonna do that. The fact I read that book tells you how I've felt about my own body and bears no reflection on anyone else. I was very grateful when it was recommended to me because it speaks to my own feelings, so saying I would dislike such a post is clearly not true, otherwise why would I have read it?
More to the point, it was rude to Char. But then perhaps autonomy is only for the enlightened.
Deadly wrote:Is that book implying women shouldn't want to look good or feel good about themselves? I'm not a fan of women attacking other women on weight issues. Everyone should live how they want to live.

No, not at all. It's the exact opposite. But I won't go into it because I've upset people by mentioning it and that's the last thing I want to do.
Nicola_Red wrote:I can highly recommend the book When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies

Deadly wrote:Is that book implying women shouldn't want to look good or feel good about themselves?

An odd conclusion to draw from the title of the book, as Nic said - it's about 'Fat acceptance' a concept that is starkly oppositional to that of weight loss. Anyway, winter is the biggest bitch when it comes to weight loss.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]