Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By neilt0
Damnit, Mel Smith has died at the relatively young age of 60: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23390982

R.I.P. Mel.

By Johnny 1989
Just heard the news of Mel Smith, genuinely shocked by that, very funny bloke and really enjoyed what I've seen of Not The Nine O'Clock News and Smith & Jones, responsible for the creation of Talkback productions, also heard he was great in the stage version of Hairspray

RIP Mel Smith :(
By Nicola_Red
Yeah, it's very sad. My dad always watched Alas Smith & Jones when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure I didn't understand it a lot of the time, but he's one of the faces I grew up seeing on screen. RIP.
By neilt0
By Topher
neilt0 wrote:

I was going to post that exact sketch! Oh no indeed, sad loss.
By DevilsDuck
RIP indeed

My favourite Smith & Jones sketch

By Yudster
He might not seem so relevant now but Mel Smith was at the leading edge of what has led to most of the biggest comedy acts today. Has it been reported why he died at such a young age? Not that I need to know that. Oh no.
By swaddon1903
Yudster wrote:He might not seem so relevant now but Mel Smith was at the leading edge of what has led to most of the biggest comedy acts today. Has it been reported why he died at such a young age? Not that I need to know that. Oh no.

He'd been ill for a while. He was addicted to pills for seven years, that couldn't have helped either. :(
By Nicola_Red
Another oh no for US actor Dennis Farina, who died yesterday aged 69. Star of Law & Order amongst many other things, and brilliant recently as Nick's dad in New Girl. RIP.
By Nicola_Red
An oh no for actress Karen Black, star of Easy Rider and House of 1000 Corpses, amongst many other things. RIP.
By Nicola_Red
RIP Elmore Leonard who died over the weekend. A great writer. Oh no.
By Topher
Watched this last night, never seen it before.

Extremely unusual to have someone SO versatile in that he was able to do satire and serious equally as well.

I must watch Frost / Nixon, actually.
By The Deadly
Frost/Nixon is a great film. That interview was originally aired before my time so my association with David Frost is his Sunday morning show that I enjoyed very much throughout the time it was on. Even at a very young age I enjoyed politics and political interviews and always liked David Frost because he gave the guest time to answer. If you see political interviews these days the interviewer is snappy and very confrontational which makes for a very poor interview.
By Nicola_Red
Our Artistic Director passed away suddenly on Friday night. I know he wasn't famous but it's still a huge shock - as well as working for us, he was on the Board of the International Society for the Performing Arts so he was very well known and respected throughout the arts in this country. He was only 58 too. RIP.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... rt-5852204
By Nicola_Red
Rock photographer Harry Goodwin has died aged 89. He recently had an exhibition of work here and he took some really iconic photographs - he was also resident photographer at Top Of The Pops in the 60s and 70s. RIP.
By Badger Mark
Marcia Wallace, US actress best known as the voice of Edna Krabapple on The Simpsons died after a long battle with breast cancer earlier today. The other show that she was known for was the 1970's comedy show The Bob Newhart Show.

Saturday is up