The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By fatboydave73
chrysostom wrote:I think the key thing here is that he's trying (not that it's a bad thing).

Chris could get a gig if he wanted to, but Dave would kill for Dom's career - and when Dom was first on the show, I bet nobody thought that sentence would be true.

I would suggest even to the last days of the show, a number of people would have said the same.

I saw it as a nailed on cert that Dave would have moved onto 5-live or somewhere similar, and when he got the Radio Oxford gig I would have seen him nailed on for further work. Maybe he wanted to change career paths after the end of the show.
By Nicola_Red
neilt0 wrote:Dom has two jobs. Chris and Dave are unemployed.

Dave works full time for Cancer Research. Or did he quit that? If he did, I missed it.
By chrysostom
The Deadly wrote:Tweet Dave and ask him. He likes us he'll be sure to answer.

:lol:

His position at CRUK is a baffling one, and one which he only must have got by virtue of their perception that he has good contacts within the BBC & other celebs who are passionate about charity.

I can't imagine which office skills he would be adept at...
By Yudster
He has a kind of executive ambassadorial role I thought? A kind of figureheady thing. Thing is that will only be worth anything to CRUK while he still has a media profile, so if it hasn't already ended it probably will soon.
By The Deadly
Dave was seen on Dancing on Ice tonight in the crowd. He has a bitter look on his once smug face.
By dimtimjim
swaddon1903 wrote:He's had that bitter look on his boat race for years.

By Misfit
After reading through the last couple of pages, I skipped back to the start of the thread, funny how peoples opinions change isn't it. The majority of us all said the Dave would have loads of work and be well in the spotlight haha!
By Yudster
Really? I don't think I ever thought that he would have any kind of career without it being on the back of Chris's. I always thought that might be the root of their falling out, Dave feeling that Chris had pulled the rug from under him. But hey, if you base your life on someone else's career you're always going to have to face the crap at some point.
By chrysostom
I agree with that - his skill set was so 'niche' that the only other show he'd be able to transition to as a writer/presenter of any importance would be Soccer A.M.
By bmstinton93
For anyone interested Dominic Byrne was on The gadget show on Monday night testing out Smart TV's with John Bentley.
By Misfit
Yudster wrote:Really? I don't think I ever thought that he would have any kind of career without it being on the back of Chris's. I always thought that might be the root of their falling out, Dave feeling that Chris had pulled the rug from under him. But hey, if you base your life on someone else's career you're always going to have to face the crap at some point.

I said majority haha!
By Yudster
I never felt as though I was in a minority with that opinion.
By Johnny 1989
Yudster wrote:I never felt as though I was in a minority with that opinion.

I think I agree with you Yuds, I did find Dave funny especially on the Afternoon show and early days of Breakfast but as you say had it not been for Chris he probably would have still be an engineer at Radio 1 or elsewhere, the rest of the team seem to have done well for themselves since the show ended where he seems to have unfortunately struggled a bit since.

To be honest I thought he may have ended up on Five Live but alas seems like that didn't work out for him either, for the moment at least.
By Badger Mark
Johnny 1989 wrote:
I think I agree with you Yuds, I did find Dave funny especially on the Afternoon show and early days of Breakfast but as you say had it not been for Chris he probably would have still be an engineer at Radio 1 or elsewhere,...

It surprises me that Dave was an engineer at R1 early on, given that he always came across as technically inept during the morning show. Just an act?
By Misfit
Its explained in Moyles book quite well. Dave was in the room next door to the studio "moving a few wires around" apparently, it took him fifteen minutes to admit it was him and put it right haha! And Dave had the job of fading the news up and down on the hour for the various overnight shows before he met Chris.
By David
Dave was a tech-op at Radio 1 (driving the desk for outside broadcasts and pre recorded shows etc). So not quite an engineer.

One of his responsibilities was making sure Mark and Lard (who were doing the breakfast show from Manchester at the time) were faded up in London. Dave popped out to the cafe round the corner and while he was away the cleaner came in to hoover the studio. The cleaner managed to knock the fader with her hoover to the point where Mark and Lard were still on air, but very quiet.

Chris was on early breakfast during this spell and Dave would always pop in and say hello. They started swapping ideas and the rest as they say...

In Chris's first book he talks about a time when a big boss at Radio 1 wanted Dave off the afternoon show.
By Misfit
Does he? I've listened to his two books over and over and I dont recall anything along those lines.
By dimtimjim
Misfit wrote:Does he? I've listened to his two books over and over and I dont recall anything along those lines.

Ah. You should have read his books, or listened to his audio books. If you listened to his books, that's why you'll have missed it. Nothing but a trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp sound and maybe a mild breeze on your cheek as you flick the pages by...

Silly misfit.
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]